The beginning of the New Year is the time we want to focus on personal goals, projects and reforming of old habits. As this year’s flu is hitting hard across the country, we take this as a reminder of how important it is to focus on our health and wellness year round. The best way to prevent seasonal flu is to get the yearly flu vaccine, but good health habits can also help protect you against the flu. Everyday preventative actions are steps that people can take to slow the spread of germs that cause the flu. Keep the flu out of your office this year by following these actions: cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, wash hands often with soap and water, avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth and try to avoid close contact with sick people.
It is also important to take care of our body and wellbeing year round. Joining a gym, taking yourself to the spa and eating healthier are a few easy ways to focus on you this year. Livingsocial.com offers numerous great deals for health and beauty to kick start your New Year’s resolution without emptying your wallet. According to surveys, about only 8% of Americans are successful at achieving their New Year’s Resolutions year round. Shape Magazine offers a few suggestions that you can actually stick to for 12 months.
- Eat Healthier: simply increase fruit and vegetable intake
- Exercise More: take the stairs rather than elevator, do “chair squats” at the office
- Cut Calories: watch out for liquid calories
- Enhance Relationships: Listen more; get in the habit of calling people by their name
- Improve Your Skin: Drink plenty of water
- Reduce Stress: Find a quiet place, sit up straight, and focus on your breathing
- Save Money: Get out of the restaurant and into your own kitchen. You’ll make healthier choices while fattening your wallet.
If all else fails, commit to doing one good deed a day and you will end each day feeling great!
“Cheers to a New Year and another chance to get it right” –Oprah Winfrey